Re: First crack at profiles in primer

Hi Bijan,

I was trying to find a good reason to shoot you, but I did not find
any:-( Sigh...:-)

Seriously, I find the text really good as a start. Deep bow towards
Manchester...

I was not sure how you wanted this text to evolve. I first tried to use
the {{Review}} macro but it seems that the style did not work for this
(why?) so I was not sure how to do it. I ended up writing all my
comments in this mail.... I hope that is fine with you.

---- Introduction ----

(I am not sure how to handle that, actually): with this numbering scheme
we have now, when I use the word 'OWL', do I mean 'OWL in general, both
OWL 1 or OWL 2', or do I mean OWL 1? I tend to think now in terms of the
former, but it is not 100% clear what you mean in the text (you
specifically talk about OWL 1 in the last section). It may be worth
emphasizing that what you say about Full/DL is valid both for OWL 1 and
OWL 2, ie that OWL 1 has adopted this fundamental "cut", and OWL 2 has
adopted it, too.

You say (about OWL Full): "One can still define classes using
restrictions or constraint properties with property chains, and so on.".
Why 'still'? As OWL Full is unrestricted, there is no 'still', so to say...

(b.t.w., I do not think that remarks like "(subject to resource
constraints)" or "(modulo bugs in the implementation)." are necessary,
mainly if this text end up (as I think it should) as part of an official
document..., but that is a stylistic issue only...)

----- EL++ -----

I know the role of SNOMED and NCI played for EL++, but I am not sure
that should be part of such a profile description. First of all, most of
the people will have no idea what these ontologies are, and, secondly,
it gives the wrong impression that we define a profile for a particular
branch of industry.

My reading of EL++ is that some of the property characterization
([inverse]functional, symmetric) are also missing. I think they are also
part of the 'key missing features' that you began to write. (Well, your
easy key may change the importance of inverse functional properties in
future, although I have no idea whether those would fit into EL++).

----- OWL-R -----

It is *really* not the way of shooting you:-), but I do not understand
what you mean by "all the OWL Fullish features of RDFS"; but you say
that yourself that it is not helpful... If you mean reflection, well, at
the moment, OWL-R does not have that a.f.a.i.k. (that was the essence of
the issue I had on the axiomatic triples)... The only thing I see that
may be possible in OWL-R (well, OWL-R-Full, actually!) is the usage of
the same symbol for a data and object property. I may miss something...

Personally, I consider OWL-R (and at DL Lite, too, actually) as a kind
of a minimal set of extra ontology features that I can build on top of
RDFS, while keeping it still easy both to comprehend and to implement.
Ie, when you say "OWL-R is ideal for enriching RDF data", I think it is
not only a true statement but may be _the_ essential feature. Although I
would add something like "..  with a set of minimal ontological
statements going beyond RDFS."

Also, I also do not understand why the following is true:

"Compared with DL Lite, OWL-R works better when you have already
massaged your data into RDF and are working with it as RDF."

(I would not use the word 'massaged' here, b.t.w.) I could very well
imagine to (1) have my data in RDF (2) add a minimal set of OWL
statements to further characterize my data and... end up in DL Lite. Ie,
I do not see that as a differentiating feature from DL Lite. Both are a
simple extension that works very well on top of RDF data.

I guess this still reflect a difficulty that I still have in making a
clear high level (ie, user level) distinction between the usage of OWL-R
and DL Lite. Maybe your remark in OWL-R saying "when the data must be
massaged by additional rules" is the strongest distinction here... I am
curious to hear Zhe's opinion.

I think both in the case of DL Lite and OWL-R it is worth emphasizing
somewhere that they scale very well with the amount of data. (RDF or
otherwise:-)

B.t.w., you said for DL-Lite: "DL Lite restricts class axioms
asymmetrically, that is, you can use constructs as the subclass that you
cannot use as the superclass.". Isn't that statement correct for OWL-R, too?

As for when you ran out of steam: I wonder whether this document should
talk about the OWL-R-DL and OWL-R-Full differentiation at all. According
to section 4.4 of the profile document in almost all the cases these two
coincide in practical use, so the difference between the two is really
only mathematical, so to say. We could actually say that on the OWL-R
level the distinction between OWL Full and OWL DL is mostly gone, and
that is it... But I may have a technical misunderstanding here.

Finally, as for your comments below on what to do with the text: I agree
that it should not be part of the profile document. However, I am not
concerned to have this text (plus some examples) being part of the
primer; actually, on the contrary. The current primer (that I really
like, do not take me wrong!) may not be easy to read for the
constituency of possible OWL-R and DL-Lite users. Ie, it would be fairly
difficult for them to understand what they can and cannot do if the only
thing we offer is the current primer and the profile spec.

Although your idea to put it as a separate document: that is worth
considering... A separate primer for EL++, yet another for OWL-R? If we
had infinite manpower, that might be the best option... But even if we
do that, I would definitely prefer to keep this at the WG.

Thanks, and have a nice week-end!

Ivan

P.S. We should still find better names for these profiles..

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/