the term "fragments"

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:52:03 -0400
To: public-owl-wg@w3.org

In last weeks telecon we talked a little about the use of the term
"Fragments" and the chair said we should continue off-line.

I propose we stick with "profile", as per the QA Working Group [1]:

     A profile is a subset of the technology that supports a particular
     functional objective....

     Profiles can be based on hardware considerations associated with
     target product classes -- for example, SVG Tiny is aimed at mobile
     phones -- or they may be driven by other functional requirements of
     their target constituencies -- for example, a graphical profile
     tailored for technical illustrations in aircraft maintenance
     manuals.

and Wikipedia [2]:

     an agreed-upon subset and interpretation of a specification.

Not exciting, and jargon (like "fragments" is), but hey...

        -- Sandro

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-spec-variability-20050831/#subdivision-profile
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profile