Re: comments on RDF mapping

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:59:54 -0400
Cc: Boris Motik <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, public-owl-wg@w3.org, Alan Rector <rector@cs.man.ac.uk>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>

On Oct 30, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> Proponents of punning would label this:
>> "OWL DL, now with more, but not all, of OWL Full goodness"
>
> To some extent this is about labelling ....

Mostly, I think.

> I have been surprised how strongly some of my colleagues feel about
> this issue - my original take, and still my personal prejudice (but
> not the position I represent) is that punning is simply an area in
> which the DL implementations are incomplete.

I would be interested in hearing their views. Any way we can arrange
that?

> I suspect, but have not checked, that many of the WG would be
> unhappy with such a position though - and since it would take me
> some effort to convince HP of it - I haven't given either task much
> thought.

I don't know about the WG. You would know about HP. But I think it
would be good to surface all the thinking about this matter so we
could take it in to consideration. I found Evan's note about chaining
data values quite helpful, for instance, and perhaps this leads to an
easily implementable improvement.

> i.e.
> - semantically using the same name for say, a class and an
> individual, has the consequences that one might expect from OWL Full
> - the OWL DL profile is incomplete, in that, consequences resulting
> from punning are not computed (but still legal OWL consequences).
> i.e. an OWL DL reasoner may implement punning in the way that OWL
> 1.1 reasoners currently are doing so, but the resulting (lack of)
> entailments is incomplete.

I presume that this is a restatement of the proposed situation. If
so, I think it is accurate.

-Alan