Re: Rich Annotations

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 05:52:39 -0500 (EST)
To: bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk
Cc: public-owl-wg@w3.org

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Subject: Rich Annotations
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:36:55 +0000

> The current draft of the proposal is here:
> 	http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Annotation_System

[...]

That page mentions five relevant issues: 12, 16, 20, 32, and 40.

My understanding is that ISSUE-12 is only concerned with the RDF mapping
of annotations, which I don't see as relevant to the proposal.

ISSUE-16 complains about entity annotations being axioms.  I don't
fully understand the issue, but I don't see how it is relevant to the
proposal.

ISSUE-20 complains that declarations should not be axioms and that
annotations on declarations are the same as entity annotations.  Again,
I don't see the relevance to the proposal.

ISSUE-32 requests annotation values that are objects as allowed in OWL
1.0.  Perhaps I don't fully understand the problem, but it appears to me
that OWL 1.1 already allows annotation values to be OWL entities, which
provides the same facility as in OWL 1.0.  I thus don't see that any
further extension to annotations is needed to solve this issue.

ISSUE-40 is "postponed" issue 4.4 from the WebOnt WG.  Looking through
the WebOnt materials, including

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0011.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0221.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0211.html

it appears that the intent was to CLOSE this issue, not POSTPONE it.  In
any case, there are no explicit needs beyond imports and versioning
related to this issue, and thus nothing that relates to the proposal.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research