Re: ISSUE-67 (reification): REPORTED: use of reification in mapping rules is unwise

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:47:32 +0000
To: Giorgos Stoilos <gstoil@image.ece.ntua.gr>
CC: "'Boris Motik'" <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, "'OWL Working Group WG'" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Giorgos Stoilos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As far as I understand annotations are already pretty weak semantically in
> OWL 1.1 (actually they have no semantics), thus mapping them into a
> structure with weak semantics, like reification, seems harmless to me.

There is harm concerning:

a) backward compatibility ISSUE-72

and

b) OWL Full/OWL DL semantic compatibility ISSUE-63

===

OWL 1.0 Full treats annotations on entities in the same way as other
properties. It is likely to be very confusing if OWL 1.1 has annotations
on axioms with different semantics from annotations on entities. Thus,
in OWL Full, annotations on axioms should have the semantics of other
properties. Building such a semantics on top of reification is known not
to work.

Jeremy