Re: XML Schema datatypes

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:16:10 +0000
To: Carsten Lutz <clu@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
CC: ewallace@cme.nist.gov, public-owl-wg@w3.org

As far as I am aware, xsd:integer and the mathematical set Z have no
important divergences i.e. there is no gain in supporting both.

string is somewhat harder - notionally it does correspond to the
mathematical set of finite sequences of unicode code points.

however, to some extent the set of unicode code points is a moving
target; and there is always the danger that some specific code point has
some semantics that makes some applications treat a particular string
differently, .... and this is further complicated by user expectations
which are more couched around the displayed format of the string, rather
than the mathematical sequence. Since two or more sequences can
correspond to identical displayed formats this is an area of concern.

As far as I recall, none of the other datatypes have anything
approaching a rigorous mathematical analog.

Jeremy