ISSUE-5: n-ary datatypes - unimplemented incomplete design

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:52:05 +0000
To: public-owl-wg@w3.org

1) unimplemented

2) no design for declaring n-ary datatypes

To start with the second point:

In the syntax doc
http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Syntax#Data_Ranges
data ranges with arity > 1 are introduced
The only constructs used to produce such datatypes are a URI, or
DataComplementOf. It refers to the Semantics doc for defns of URIs, but
only 1-ary datatypes are listed there in.

Essentially, the idea that there is a design for n-ary datatypes is a bluff.

A design would include:
- means for declaring such datatypes
- some predefined datatypes
- means for deciding on sensible selections of datatypes that work well
together.

As far as I am aware, there are implementations that support many of the
features of the member submission - however, n-ary datatypes are not
supported by any od them. This increases my belief that n-ary datatypes
still requires active research work to take what is, I believe, a
theoretical design, to turn it into working code.

I do not believe that this WG is the appropriate place for such research.

Jeremy