Re: Punning and the "properties for classes" use case (from public-owl-dev)

On 4 Nov 2007, at 04:35, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> I've moved the technical bit from this email to  http://www.w3.org/
> 2007/OWL/wiki/Compatibility_between_OWL_DL_and_OWL_Full
> as a starting point. Let's collect issues and evaluation metrics
> there.
>
> (I'm still trying to understand the example)

It is possible in OWL to restrict the size of the domain to be 1 (or
some other value) in all interpretations -- Peter uses the standard
"spy point" trick to do this, by ensuring that every individual is
related to the spy individual via the ex:s property and that the spy
has at most one "incoming" ex:s edge (via a cardinality restriction
in the inverse of ex:s).

Given such a restriction, it is obviously the case that sameAs (c d)
is entailed for any two individuals c and d. In OWL Full sameAs (c d)
additionally entails equivalentClass (c d), so we also get that
Individual ( a type ( c ) ) entails individual ( a type ( d ) ).

We don't get this kind of entailment in OWL DL because classes are
not interpreted in the same way as individuals (i.e., as elements of
the domain), so for two classes c and d we would not necessarily
entail equivalentClass (c d).

Hope this helps.

BTW, it seems to me that such an ontology must be inconsistent when
interpreted with Full semantics because a would also be an instanced
of Nothing, but this isn't relevant to the discussion.