Re: Choosing a "short name" for our working group pubs

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 13:27:08 +0000
To: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

[Btw, suggested text is better than criticism.]
[Ok, maybe not *my* suggested text...]

On Nov 3, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
[snip]

My suggestion for short name: "owl".

Another suggestion "owll" (two "L"s). This works
indefinitely .."owlll" for the next one, etc. with no implicit
semantics of major/minor.

Another suggestion: "wol".

Ooo, how about "lol"*

And my absolute favorite: "bijanisalwaysright".

Ok, that's not so short, so "bijanowl" would be acceptable!!

I'm sure there's *massive* consensus behind the last two!!!!!! Isn't
in our charter? Actually, I believe the process document, when run
through the appropriate secret decoder proxy server reveals there are
*three* statuses that a WG participant can have with *three* sorts of
fabulous prizes!:
	* Bad standing (you've be naughty! you only get a link of coal from
Santa Tim)
	* Good standing (you've be nice! you get a lot of link "presence"
from Santa Tim)
	* Bijan standing (you're me; I rock; I don't need no stinkin linkin!)

Bijan-standing is the last listed, so obviously the best. However, I
think "good" would be a fine short name as well. "Bad" doesn't seem
to be a, erhm, *good* idea for obvious marketing reasons...

...although, we could link it to Michael Jackson's "Bad"**, which
would certainly have an interesting "viral" effect....

"""Because it's OWL, it's OWL, come on
(OWL OWL-really, really OWL!)
And The Open World Has To
Answer Right In NEXPTIME
Just To Tell You Once Again,
Who's OWL . . .""""

> P.S. Note that this choice should also affect the namespace URI
> used for
> OWL1.1 constructs. Ideally, the same naming scheme should be used for
> the namespace URI and the short name.

Hence my first one, since I strongly prefer reusing the old URI
prefix. Actually, even across serializations.

* Im in ur yrispace doin' ma bizniz!
**Lyrics:  http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Michael-Jackson/Bad.html
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSWLKQMN34Y