Re: ISSUE-32 complex annotations

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:25:47 +0000
To: Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
CC: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Ian Horrocks wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2007, at 10:52, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> ISSUE-32 requests annotation values that are objects as allowed in OWL
>> 1.0.  Perhaps I don't fully understand the problem, but it appears to me
>> that OWL 1.1 already allows annotation values to be OWL entities, which
>> provides the same facility as in OWL 1.0.  I thus don't see that any
>> further extension to annotations is needed to solve this issue.
>
> This appears to me to be a non-issue, i.e., it asks for something that
> is already there. Unless I hear to the contrary I will REJECT and CLOSE it.
>
> Ian

I speak to the contrary.

Here is an example that is an OWL 1.0 DL and is not in OWL 1.1 DL as
currently defined.

eg:ap rdf:type owl:AnnotationProperty .
rdfs:label rdf:type owl:AnnotationProperty .
eg:c rdf:type owl:Class .
eg:c eg:ap _:x .
_:x rdf:type owl:Thing .
_:x rdfs:label "No longer allowed." .

Hence OWL 1.1 does not provide the same facility as in OWL 1.0, and
there is an issue to address.

Jeremy