Re: proposal - Fragments redux (unifying the threads under Issues 75-80)

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:32:27 -0500
Cc: Bernardo Cuenca Grau <bcg@cs.man.ac.uk>, OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Carsten Lutz <clu@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
Carsten - can you justify the "many" in the statement "many people
building real ontologies"  - I looked through a couple of the places
where people have categorized ontologies, unfortunately none of them
did it in terms of the specifics of EL++ so I couldn't determine.
Currently, the vast majority found in the studies I cited earlier are
OWL Full (although a lot of that is because they use rdfs:class) and
RDFS

On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Carsten Lutz wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Jim Hendler wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:44, Carsten Lutz <clu@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Sorry to object, but IHMO this approach is precisely why the
>>> original
>>> OWL Lite was broken. And I understood we wanted to fix this?! We
>>> should
>>> at least understand the computational properties of the fragments we
>>> are selecting.
>>
>> IMO, its because we worried too much about theory that lite is
>> broken, but thats neither here nor there. I never said computation
>> wasn't a factor to be taken into account, but it's also not the
>> only factor to be taken into account.
>
> This I never said.
>
>> We are not writing research papers here, we are trying to help
>> people build real web apps!
>
> No doubts, we must have an eye on both. Which is why I pointed out
> that EL++ is both theoretically well-understood *and* already adopted
> by many people building real ontologies. :)
>
> greetings,
> 		Carsten
>
> --
> *      Carsten Lutz, Institut f"ur Theoretische Informatik, TU
> Dresden       *
> *     Office phone:++49 351 46339171   mailto:lutz@tcs.inf.tu-
> dresden.de     *

it?." - Albert Einstein