Re: Using cardinality restrictions

On 13 Jul 2011, at 14:28, <Soeren.Kemmann@iese.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> Hi Uli, hi @all,
>
> Yes, that makes sense!
> I was trying to build a small example analog to the famous pizza
> example.
> The difference is that I do not want to assign instances to the
> partitions and use them, but I want to just define instances and
> have the reasoner interfere to which class they belong to.
> I’m sorry … but I couldn’t achieve this yet. This is what I did:
> My Class Hierarchy:
> Thing
> - RefClass
> - TestValuePartition == (Part1 union Part2)
>                 - Part1
>                 - Part2
> Part1 and Part 2 are marked as disjoint.
> Furthermore, I defined that Part 1 has some references to RefClass
> (hasRef some Class).
> Now, if I create two instances with asserted type
> TestValuePartition, one that has a reference to an instance of
> RefClass and the other having no instance.

again, be careful, 'the other having no *known* [reference to an]
instance of RefClass.

> Due to the value partition I would have expected that instance 1 is
> interfered to be of Part1

...and this works (as you say below)

> and instance 2 to be of Part2, but again only Part1 works!

same as before: instance 2 may or may not have a hasRef-successor, so
we have not enough information to say whether instance 2 is an
instance of Part1 or of Part2...

> Instance 2 stays as being a TestValuePartition instance (only). For
> me the Value Partition is in this case not a value partition!?
> What am I missing?

I am afraid you are missing the open world assumption (and thus of
possible, but neither necessarily true, nor necessarily false facts -
e.g., instance 2 is possibly an instance of Part1, possibly an
instance of Part2, thus not necessarily an instance of either)...check
for 'closure axioms'! Cheers, Uli