From: Uli Sattler [mailto:sattler@cs.man.ac.uk]
Sent: Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011 15:46
To: Kemmann, Soeren
Cc: public-owl-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Using cardinality restrictions

On 13 Jul 2011, at 14:28, <Soeren.Kemmann@iese.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

Hi Uli, hi @all,

Yes, that makes sense!

I was trying to build a small example analog to the famous pizza example.

The difference is that I do not want to assign instances to the partitions
and use them, but I want to just define instances and have the reasoner
interfere to which class they belong to.

I’m sorry … but I couldn’t achieve this yet. This is what I did:

My Class Hierarchy:

Thing

- RefClass

- TestValuePartition == (Part1 union Part2)

                - Part1

                - Part2

Part1 and Part 2 are marked as disjoint.

Furthermore, I defined that Part 1 has some references to RefClass (hasRef
some Class).

Now, if I create two instances with asserted type TestValuePartition, one
that has a reference to an instance of RefClass and the other having no
instance.

again, be careful, 'the other having no *known* [reference to an] instance
of RefClass.

Due to the value partition I would have expected that instance 1 is
interfered to be of Part1

...and this works (as you say below)

and instance 2 to be of Part2, but again only Part1 works!

same as before: instance 2 may or may not have a hasRef-successor, so we
have not enough information to say whether instance 2 is an instance of
Part1 or of Part2...

Instance 2 stays as being a TestValuePartition instance (only). For me the
Value Partition is in this case not a value partition!?

What am I missing?

I am afraid you are missing the open world assumption (and thus of possible,
but neither necessarily true, nor necessarily false facts - e.g., instance 2
is possibly an instance of Part1, possibly an instance of Part2, thus not
necessarily an instance of either)...check for 'closure axioms'! Cheers, Uli

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Sören