Re: Tool for downsizing OWL 2 DL to OWL 2 EL

From: Pavel Klinov <pklinov@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:16:39 +0100
To: Jan Noessner <jan@informatik.uni-mannheim.de>
Cc: public-owl-dev@w3.org
Hi Jan,

I can't suggest a particular tool, but you might be interested in
"approximating" your ontology in a less expressive language as opposed
to simply dropping non-conforming axioms. Note, that the resulting
OWL-EL ontology need not be a subset of your original ontology, but it
might be "closer" (according to some semantic or syntactic metric) to
the original ontology than any of the subsets.

AFAIK, Jeff Pan has been quite interested in approximating OWL 2 DL
ontologies using OWL 2 QL and OWL 2 EL (he will correct me if I'm
wrong). See, for example, [1]. So you may contact him and see if
there's some implementation.

HTH,
Pavel

[1] www.abdn.ac.uk/~csc280/pub/TPR2010.pdf