Re: owl:allValuesFrom inference

From: Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:12:26 +0200
Cc: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
To: Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>
Hi,

> What you want to say is that *if something is madeby a Man (and
> possibly by some other things), then this something is a
> ThingMadeByMan.

exactly.

> So there direction of the implication needs to go the other way
> round an you need existential (someValues) restriction... in
> Manchester Syntax:
>
> Class: ThingMadeByMan
>   EquivalentTo:
>     madeBy some Man

I'm not too familiar with Manchester Syntax, is this equivalent to (n3):

ex:ThingMadeByMan
    a owl:Restriction ;
    owl:onProperty ex:madeBy ;
    owl:someValuesFrom ex:Man ;
.

... because I tried this one, but stil the implication

> This axiom together with your 2 assertions above about Bart and
> Something should then imply that Something is ThingMadeByMan

is not derived by Pellet. :-(

Also I wonder what a reasoner can actually infer from
owl:someValuesFrom -- as far as I can tell from the spec [1] it can
actually only be used to check the consistency of a model, but not to
infer new facts, since the reasoner cannot decide which of the
(possibly many) values of the property is an instance of the specified
class. Am I missing something here?

Best, Bernhard