Re: owl:allValuesFrom inference

From: Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:00:30 +0100
Cc: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
To: Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at>

On 25 Jun 2009, at 10:38, Bernhard Schandl wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> I have a question regarding OWL DL inference. Given the following
> axiom,
>
>   ex:ThingMadeByMan
>      a owl:Restriction ;
>      owl:onProperty ex:madeBy ;
>      owl:allValuesFrom ex:Man ;
>   .

so, you say that, if  a ThingMadeByMan is madeBy something, then this
something is a Man.

> and the following assertions,
>
>   ex:Bart a ex:Man .
>   ex:Something ex:madeby ex:Bart .

now you have a Man, Bart, and Something which is madeBy Bart.

> is there a way to enfore a reasoner to infer the following?
>
>   ex:Something a ex:ThingMadeByMan .

yes there is -- but Pellet is right in not inferring this triple from
what you have said above because it doesn't follow from it.   What you
want to say is that *if something is madeby a Man (and possibly by
some other things), then this something is a ThingMadeByMan. So there
direction of the implication needs to go the other way round an you
need existential (someValues) restriction... in Manchester Syntax:

  Class: ThingMadeByMan
    EquivalentTo:
      madeBy some Man

This axiom together with your 2 assertions above about Bart and
Something should then imply that Something is ThingMadeByMan

Cheers, Uli