Re: Inverse property on classes

On 15 May 2009, at 16:09, Cédric Thiébault wrote:

> Would you use allValuesFrom <http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide/#owl_allValuesFrom
> > to create this weird pizza class that has all mozzarella as topping?
> :Pizza_mozzarella_class :hasTopping all :Mozzarella_class
> No. That's why I said that it wouldn't be that trivial. Here you're
> saying that "all toppings of Pizza_mozzarella_class's instances are
> instances of Mozzarella_class". But you need something else: "any
> instance of  Pizza_mozzarella_class has *all* instances of
> Mozzarella_class as toppings". Do you see the difference? The second
> does imply that *any* instance of Mozzarella_class is a topping of
> an instance of the Pizza_mozzarella_class (provided the latter is
> non-empty) while the first does not.
>
> So I need to define both sides of the relation?
> :Pizza_mozzarella_class :hasTopping all :Mozzarella_class
> :Mozzarella_class :isToppingOf all :Pizza_mozzarella_class

if this is what you want to say...? The above second axiom says that
each instance of Mozzarella_class can *only* be a topping of
Pizza_mozzarella_class...i.e., *if* a mozzarella  is the topping of
something, then this something is a Pizza_mozzarella....so you

- disallow other Pizzas to have mozzarella toppings, and

- you still can have mozzarellas that aren't toppings of anything
(notice the *if* above)

> In this case, I don't use anymore the inverse property?

hm, you use :hasTopping and :isToppingOf , so you should have an axiom
saying that :isToppingOf  is the inverse of :hasTopping, thus you
still use inverse properties...indirectly.

> I have the feeling that property characteristics like inverse and
> transitivity are useful on instances, not on classes.

why?! If I say that all children of Turtles only have parents who are
Green  (assuming that 'hasChild' is the inverse of 'hasParent'), then
the class 'Turtle and hasChild some Thing' will be inferred to be a
subclass of 'Turtle and Green'...so inverse properties *have effects*
of the entailments regarding classes, if this is what you mean by 'are
useful'

> If we add an ingredient class to our ontology and a transitive
> property hasPart that is parent of hasTopping.
> :Ingredient rdf:type owl:Class
> :hasPart rdf:type owl:TransitiveProperty
> :hasTopping rdf:type :hasPart
>
> :Cheese_class rdf:type :Ingredient
>
> :Pizza_mozzarella_class :hasTopping all :Mozzarella_class
> :Mozzarella_class :hasPart some :Cheese_class
>
> Would it be possible to know if my pizza has some cheese as
> ingredient?

assuming that you pizza is 'Pizza_mozzarella', no: because you only
use :hasTopping *all* :Mozzarella_class

> Actually, I want to use classes and not individuals because I need
> to reason on them and it seems that reasoners can only work on
> classes...
> I'm not sure what you mean by "it seems that reasoners can only work
> on classes...". It is often a highly non-trivial modeling decision
> (to use classes or individuals to model certain things).
>
> When I tried to find inferred classes from my instances it did not
> work...

how did you do this?

> But when I used classes instead of instances, the reasoner created
> the inferred model.
> In fact, if I was able to 'navigate' threw my ontology using the
> inverse and transitive properties on classes, it would be great. But
> for the moment, I can't.

I don't understand what you mean...what tool do you use?

Cheers, Uli