Re: Inverse property on classes

>  Would you use allValuesFrom <
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide/#owl_allValuesFrom> to create this weird
>> pizza class that has all mozzarella as topping? :Pizza_mozzarella_class
>> :hasTopping all :Mozzarella_class
>>
> No. That's why I said that it wouldn't be that trivial. Here you're saying
> that "all toppings of Pizza_mozzarella_class's instances are instances of
> Mozzarella_class". But you need something else: "any instance of
>  Pizza_mozzarella_class has *all* instances of  Mozzarella_class as
> toppings". Do you see the difference? The second does imply that *any*
> instance of Mozzarella_class is a topping of an instance of the
> Pizza_mozzarella_class (provided the latter is non-empty) while the first
> does not.

So I need to define both sides of the relation?
:Pizza_mozzarella_class :hasTopping all :Mozzarella_class
:Mozzarella_class :isToppingOf all :Pizza_mozzarella_class

In this case, I don't use anymore the inverse property?

I have the feeling that property characteristics like inverse and
transitivity are useful on instances, not on classes.

If we add an ingredient class to our ontology and a transitive property
hasPart that is parent of hasTopping.
:Ingredient rdf:type owl:Class
:hasPart rdf:type owl:TransitiveProperty
:hasTopping rdf:type :hasPart
:Cheese_class rdf:type :Ingredient

:Pizza_mozzarella_class :hasTopping all :Mozzarella_class
:Mozzarella_class :hasPart some :Cheese_class

Would it be possible to know if my pizza has some cheese as ingredient?

>  Actually, I want to use classes and not individuals because I need to
>> reason on them and it seems that reasoners can only work on classes...
>>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "it seems that reasoners can only work on
> classes...". It is often a highly non-trivial modeling decision (to use
> classes or individuals to model certain things).

When I tried to find inferred classes from my instances it did not work...
But when I used classes instead of instances, the reasoner created the
inferred model.
In fact, if I was able to 'navigate' threw my ontology using the inverse and
transitive properties on classes, it would be great. But for the moment, I
can't.
But I can do it easily with instances... that's why I'm stuck with
individuals :-(

Thanks again Pavel!

Cedric