Re: [OWLWG-COMMENT] ISSUE-55 (owl:class)

Mike - this is what I was responding to - while I think recommending
everyone use owl:class is fine, and we essentially did it in OWL 1.0,
the point is lots of people are using rdfs:class in a lot of large
ontologies - OWL tools generally seem happy with this (making the
change or reporting something to the user), however, there isn't a
great deal of effort that I can see being made on the part of, for
example, the FOAF community, to change to owl:class, and I don't see
the motivation for them to do so, since they are in OWL Full
anyway.   I believe most rdfs users would see little difference if
they used OWL class, with the exception that in some cases it would
mean bringing in the OWL namespace, and in other cases it would mean
a lot of cleanup or reverse engineering w/o a lot of perceived gain.
  Your second suggestion (that OWL tools just make the fix) is okay
by me, and actually I think it is the status quo, but doesn't really
fix the problem for the user starting to create a new model - there's
still confusion as to which to use.  What I hoped in this issue was
that we could find a way to make owl:class owl:equivalentTo
rdfs:class, but wishing for that didn't make it so, and the semantics
of OWL DL 1.1 seem to make it impossible to go there.
  So while it's great that OWL tools could be able to handle
rdfs:class, although Peter and Carsten seem to disagree (which I
think is what you and Alan are trying to fix), I was just wishing
there was a way to make it all come together - the rifts between OWL
DL and OWL Full, and between RDFS and OWL, seem to me to cause a lot
of confusion in new users - I meet way too many people who think they
"have to" use one thing or another, often for a wrong reason, and
anywhere there is confusion in these things it means we increase a
learning curve and lose some potential users
  -JH
p.s. I should be clear I am not actually making a technical point
here, I'm just bemoaning a state of the world.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept