RE: [OWLWG-COMMENT] ISSUE-55 (owl:class)

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:58:17 +0100
To: "Jim Hendler" <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc: "Owl Dev" <public-owl-dev@w3.org>, <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, <ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, <dlm@ksl.stanford.edu>, <hans.teijgeler@quicknet.nl>, "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>

Hi, Jim!

Jim Hendler wrote:

> So basically, we have two different groups who end up coming
>at things from different directions and not meeting in the
>middle.  I'd love to see a fix, but I also understand the
>worldview that cannot live with this.
> but I'll tell you this based on experience and analysis of
>lots of stuff out there - telling people that the "right
>thing" to do is to use owl:class won't change much, because
>the people using rdfs:class to start with generally aren't
>coming from an OWL perspective, and therefore don't see a
>reason to change.
>  So I see that if there was a solution in resolving these, we
>would make it easier for people to come to OWL

But please note that my "second recommendation" just targeted on this. While
in my "first recommendation" I suggested to use "owl:Class" in all /new/ OWL
ontologies, I also suggested that the OWL reasoner developers should change
their reasoners to silently substitute occurrences of "rdfs:Class" by
"owl:Class" before reasoning starts. Technically this is very simple: Just
look up all triples containing "rdfs:Class" and substitute them by the same
triples containing "owl:Class" instead. This is a matter of a few lines of
code with JENA, for example.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe