Re: Degree of acceptance of BFO

Hello Manu

We've been using it as a guide in our work on the neurocommons, and
it is used as the basis for OBI, the Ontology for Biomedical
Investigations, and PATO, the ontology of Phenotypic qualities. There
are quite active email lists discussing issues in its development,
much spurred, currently, by issues arising from OBI development.
Recent discussion have been trying to understand patterns, which came
from a discussion of how to represent information. Although BFO
currently has very few axioms in the OWL rendering, I've been working
on improving that situation. Within OBI we are currently discussing
issues of how to handle multiple levels of granularity typical in
biomedical ontologies, as a BFO ontology is specified at a single
granularity currently.

Other ontologies in the OBO foundry are designed with BFO in mind,
and I expect that many will migrate in that direction over the next
few years.

The google project is http://code.google.com/p/bfo/
OBI is http://obi.sourceforge.net/
The various OBI lists are at http://sourceforge.net/mail/?
group_id=177891
PATO is at http://obofoundry.org/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?quality
The Relations Ontology is at http://www.obofoundry.org/ro/
The OBO Foundry is at http://www.obofoundry.org/
The Neurocommons http://sw.neurocommons.org/

Hope this helps.
Feel free to follow up off list if you want to discuss this further.

Regards,
Alan