DL Internship (Was: Re: spatial relations and OWL1.1)

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:30:36 -0400
Cc: John Goodwin <John.Goodwin@ordnancesurvey.co.uk>, Seldon <Koepke.Stefan@t-online.de>, public-owl-dev@w3.org
To: Evren Sirin <evren@clarkparsia.com>

On Apr 27, 2007, at 5:14 PM, Evren Sirin wrote:

> As I said the representation is not intuitive (a region is
> represented as a concept, the relations between regions as one or
> more concept axioms, etc.) but if you have a tool that does the OWL
> conversion behind the scenes, it wouldn't be too bad (there is no
> such tool that I'm aware of). Also it is not clear how practical it
> would be to use a DL reasoner with this transformation against a
> realistic RCC8 dataset (I'm not aware of such a dataset either :).

Hmm, this reminds me that I should have sent a link to this list
about out Semantic Summer internship program, which includes work
we'd like to sponsor on RCC8 and OWL; in part it would be to work on
these ideas Evren's talking about:

Announcement
http://clarkparsia.com/weblog/2007/04/09/semantic-summer-2007/

Background Reading, Additional Info
http://clarkparsia.com/2007/semantic-summer

A flier (feel free to spread this around to students w/ DL interest)
http://clarkparsia.com/files/pdf/cp-semantic-summer-2007.pdf

Cheers,
Kendall Clark