Annotations again (was Re: RDFS compatibility information in OWL-DL documents)

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:13:02 -0400
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: wangxiao@musc.edu, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>, public-owl-dev@w3.org, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Alistair Miles <a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk>

At 7:09 PM +0100 4/19/07, Dan Brickley wrote:
>Hi Bijan,
>Bijan Parsia wrote:
>>  Last for me in this thread for a while.
>>  On 19 Apr 2007, at 18:37, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>>>  Or should I use rdfs:isDefinedBy, rdfs:seeAlso?
>>  No reasoner that I know of is, by default, sensitive to these. You
>>could preprocess and then feed into the reasoner, but that doesn't
>>currently have wide spread use.
>>>  If so, where is it specified?
>>  isDefinedBy and seeAlso are rather *un*defined. FOAF suggests
>>using seeAlso links, but I think the *content* of a foaf document
>>is still just the assertions in it, not the seeAlso's closure.
>Absolutely so. FOAF is just an RDF vocab. It has no magic voodoo to
>declare that "its" documents somehow include bits of other
>documents. This makes it safe to point a seeAlso at data from
>untrusted or unpredictable searches; they're just mentions of other
>documents that may be on roughly the same topic.
>This is one of the things I do like about RDF over XML: schema
>authors behaviour is limited such that you know in advance that
>someone else's schema can't do all kinds of crazy stuff. All they
>can do, more or less, is say a few quite limited things about
>classes and properties.
>The original use case for isDefinedBy was for the situation where
>you have a class or a property whose URI might be something like a
>UUID, ie. you can't syntactically figure out the namespace URI via
>For rdfs:seeAlso there are a few notes in
>http://esw.w3.org/topic/UsingSeeAlso that might be of interest.

changing the subject a bit, but riffing off Dan's email, I note that
one of the things we'd love to do more of, be nice to have a good way
to do in OWL 1.1, is to have a way to either subproperty these
annotation properties or to have some new things with, perhaps, an
operational (rather than formal) semantics that has some instruction
for machine readable properties -- just as an example, we've started
to put descriptors in some OWL ontologies that point to pages in
places like flickr and wikipedia that describe the concept - problem
is that SWOOP and other editors think they are just text strings (if
we use the rdfs: properties) or think they are meanignful semantic
properties if we use OWL data or object type properties.   The
implementation work around we use is to subproperty rdfs:seeAlso -
which technically puts us in OWL full (although Pellet is smart
enough to ignore them :-))
  Anyway, I know this topic has come up before, but looking through
the discussion I don't see a resolution, so I thought I'd add this
important "Web 3.0" use case

How can you be in two places at once if you're not anywhere at all?
						(Firesign Theatre, 1969)
Tetherless World Constellation Chair		301-405-2696 (work)
Computer Science Dept			301-405-6707 (Fax)