Re: OWL "Sydney Syntax", structured english

From: Rolf Schwitter <rolfs@ics.mq.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 23:44:39 +1100
To: <public-owl-dev@w3.org>

Hi

I read through all these emails about controlled natural languages and would
like to make a remark about something that is missing in the discussion:

When you design a controlled natural language, then you have to think about
the user inferface first. You have to provide a user interface which guides
the writing process. I am convinced that this is possible, you can use text-
and menu-based lookahead techniques which constrain the input of the user.
By the way, these kinds of techniques have successfully been used in editors
for programming languages. I suggest to write a definite clause grammar that
bi-directionally translates a DL-equivalent controlled natural language into
OWL Abstract Syntax (and vice versa) and use these lookahead techniques.

Cheers,
Rolf Schwitter