Re: OWL "Sydney Syntax", structured english

From: Kaarel Kaljurand <kaljurand@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:02:25 +0100
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: "John McClure" <jmcclure@hypergrove.com>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us>, "Anne Cregan" <annec@cse.unsw.edu.au>, public-owl-dev@w3.org

Hello,

On 11/30/06, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 19:54 +0100, Kaarel Kaljurand wrote:
> >
> > That would be an easy change, but I think the round-trip requirement
> > is really important. It enables the "view source" effect, i.e. one can view
> > the OWL file in ACE, do some modifications (in ACE) and publish it
> > again (in OWL).
> > Knowing the details of ACE wouldn't be needed in many cases.
>
> Yes, that's a good point; I didn't happen to see tools that go the
> other way. I'm interested in any pointers.

The ACE->OWL direction is integrated into the ACE parser which can be
used as a REST-webservice. E.g. to get the OWL RDF/XML of an ACE
sentence "John likes everybody who owns a car." just click on:

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/cgi-bin/attempto/ape/apews.cgi?text=John+likes+everybody+who+owns+a+car.&solo=owlrdf

The webservice is documented here:

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/attempto/documentation/ape_webservice.html

The ACE->OWL direction is documented here:

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/attempto/documentation/writing_owl_in_ace.html

There are limitations, it's work in progress.

I'll create a Protege plugin (that integrates both directions)
once I've figured out how the Protege API works.

--
kaarel