Colons in Prefix Names?

From: Marko Luther <luther@docomolab-euro.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 19:02:57 +0200
To: public-owl-comments@w3.org
I got confused by the examples given in the PR OWL 2 Primer at

regarding the exact syntax for prefix names.

According to the PR OWL 2 Structural Specification at

the last character should always be a colon (see also the PNAME_NS
production in <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-rdf-sparql-query-20080115/
 >). This is also the case for all examples given in Functional Style
Syntax, e.g. those in

However, the corresponding example in OWL/XML Syntax has the following

   <Prefix name="otherOnt" IRI="http://example.org/otherOntologies/families/

which complies with the OWL 2 XML Schema. Note that here the name of
the prefix does not contain a colon. I would have expected the

   <Prefix name="otherOnt:" IRI="http://example.org/otherOntologies/families/

What is the correct way to specify a prefix in OWL/XML Syntax? Would
the empty prefix be defined with name="" or name=":"?

Best regards,
Marko Luther