comment on Use Case #3 of http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-new-features/

From: Egon Willighagen <egon.willighagen@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:15:16 +0100
To: public-owl-comments@w3.org

Hi all,

over at public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org a request for comments was send
around, which linked to "OWL 2 Web Ontology Language: New Features and
Rationale".

Specifically, I like to comment on Use Case #3 of that draft, which
sounds to me, as a chemist, rather weird. I understand the intention,
but the example is broken, in my opinion.
Firstly, 'connectedTo' and 'Molecule' are not defined. Two Molecules
can not be connected, because it then would be the same molecule. That
holds for any molecules, if they have a ring structure or not.
Secondly, somewhere hidden in the example is the notion of fragments;
however, here too, any Molecule would consist of connected fragments.

Either this Use Case should be removed, or rewritten from scratch otherwise.

I cannot think of a quick fix right now, but certainly available for
fixing it at a later stage.

Hoping this helps in the evaluation of the draft,

your sincerely,

Egon Willighagen

--
----