Re: CNAME use

Hey Robin,

Apologies for the delay. Replies inline:

On 03.06.14, 21:00, Robin Raymond wrote:

> Traditional RFC CNAME it represents the user@host, i.e. it tracks with
> the user’s device. Thus all streams sent from the same host should have
> the same CNAME.
>
> However, the RTC usage draft as Bernard quotes is not exactly helpful
> because it describes things in relation to the “peer connection”. So I
> suspect what will happen is that a random ID will be generated for the
> javascript sandbox instance. Thus all connections within the same
> sandbox will have the same random CNAME thus making synchronization
> theoretically possible.

This sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

> So the question I have are:
> 1) Is there privacy issues if the CNAME is chosen by the system so long
> as it’s stable across all RTCRtpSender objects within the same
> javascript session?

I can't think of one that's actually worrying me. This part is encrypted
to the outside world and presumably the service already knows where you
are anyway.

> 2) Do you need to be able to override the CNAME defaulted by the system
> (if so why)?

I am sure that if it were possible people would use that option ... but
I can't think of a use case where you can't get by with just being able
to read it.

> 3) Do you need to be able to read the CNAME from JS that will be used
> for sending?

I suppose so. You certainly need it if you want to be able to generate
the kind of SDP that Chrome currently does.

> 4) Do you need to know on the receiver side from JS what CNAME was used
> by the remote sender?

Same answer as 2. Possibly nice to have (e.g., for debugging purposes
... or some signalling) but I can't think of an unsolvable problem if we
didn't have it.

> We could also force all within the same RTCIceTransportController to
> share the same CNAME but not sure if that’s possible since RTCRtpSenders
> can be re-wired to a new RTCIceTransport object, which is why I think
> CNAME needs to be stable across the entire JS sandboxed session (at
> least by default).

Agreed!

Thanks,
Emil