Re: W3C Annotation Working Group?

On 09 Jan 2014, at 17:05 , Simone Fonda <fonda@netseven.it> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> First, we hope that you've all had a safe and happy holidays!
>
> Hey Robert!
>
> Thanks a lot and my best wishes for a great 2014 to you and to the whole list.
>

>> Please let us know your thoughts on this idea!  While we think that a formal
>> TR will carry significantly more weight than the current community draft,
>> especially with larger industrial potential adopters, and that a broader
>> scope of work can strengthen the market, we want to make sure you agree that
>> the creation of a WG is the right thing to do at this stage. Do you think
>> this is the right step? Would you be interested in participating in this
>> proposed WG? Please give us your comments here!
>
> We are VERY interested in participating in this!!
>
> Not entirely sure, but i believe the little company i work for is not
> interested in becoming a member of W3C, i think the "invited expert"
> workaround would be more than enough. I'll do the best i can to
> pretend and behave like an expert! ;)
>
> Tho i've heard of a possible membership obtained through European
> Projects, i'll investigate a bit better.
>

> A couple of serious questions: what kind of effort (time-wise) do you
> think this would require? How many "face to face" meetings does the
> average WG have per year, and where? Would one person from an
> organisation/project be enough or do you recommend a couple or even
> more? Last but not least... where do i need to sign up? :))

Simone,

let me chime in, if I may...

- The usual time we put in our document is around half a day a week. If you are an editor it may be more, of course
- We have not decided on the number of F2F meetings yet. There are groups that do not have any, some have 2 or even 3 a year; this is a discussion we will have to have. My gut feeling is that one F2F per year should be enough, but Rob and the others may have a different view on this. Where? Wherever the group decides:-) although my personal preference would be to have it at the annual Technical Plenary meeting of W3C, because it gives an opportunity to work with other groups (this year it is on the week of the 27th of October in Santa Clara)
- For signing up: that is still a bit further down the line:-(: we will have to work on the charter, convince the W3C management, and then get it voted by the AC... That will take 1-2 months (or maybe 3)

As for the membership: we will discuss it when the time comes. Maybe we can convince your management that it is worth the while! But I would not worry about that right now.

I hope this helps!

Ivan

> Best,
> Simone