RE: Style Issue

1.       Probably no with regard to gss:style. Was tied to some of the
contemporary CSS work, which has moved on, while GSS seems entirely dormant.
And as you say, it never reached the level of W3C Recommendation. But it
does give some reinforcement to the approach you've proposed.

2.       With regard to whether the XHTML attribute class could be
considered as an RDF predicate (i.e., xhtml:class), a few years back in the
development of RDFa this was considered:

  http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/3

My reading is that in the end it was decided that in general XHTML @class
was too semantically ambiguous except when it's value was
namespace-qualified, in which case it mapped better to rdf:type (i.e., as
opposed to xhtml:class), and of course rdf:type is not what we want at all.

Interestingly as part of the same discussion they did consider the
possibility of@role as a potential predicate (in RDF sense). Had XHTML 2.0
ever gone anywhere they were talking about @role becoming xhtml2:role in
RDFa, but then XHTML 2.0 died. So the idea of some XHTML attributes being
treated as RDF predicates not entirely unreasonable. Just not @class given
wide range of ways it is used in XHTML.

So probably too much baggage to try and use xhtml:class. Too bad. Unless you
read this discussion differently.

So I guess oa:styleClass it is, unless someone has another take on how to
avoid.

3.       But there will not, I assume, be an oa:styleID predicate? We would
limit ourselves to CSS class selectors?

Thanks,

Tim Cole

University of Illinois at UC