Re: F2F Decision: Multiple Resources - closing Set?

Hi Antoine,

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:

> Hi Rob, Jacob,
>

>> I think you're correct,
>>

> Thank you both for the answers, really useful to get heads around the Set
> notion. But isn't there a contradiction between what Jacob said on multiple
> bodies/targets [1]:
> [
>
> the annotation node is putting them into a simple OR relationship to one
> another, e.g., < Body1> OR <Body2> annotates <Target1> OR <Target2>
> ]
> and what is said in the resolution [2]
> [
>
> Multiple occurrences of the same predicate are to be treated as
> "Individuals".
> This means that each body annotates each target completely independently
> of any other body or target.
> ]
> ?

I'm not certain what may be contradictory. The logical OR case is very
ambiguous. From the perspective of the specification it is up to the
consumer to decide how to interpret the annotation. The can use both bodies
in one annotation or ignore one of them (this may not be a fair option due
to Open World assumptions, in which case our logical OR is actually some
kind of weird psuedo-XOR). They could even go so far as to map the
annotation into multiple other annotations with exactly one body / target
each.

Ultimately, this exploits RDF's allowance for arbitrary relationships to
realize some savings on minting identifiers and storing triples; however,
the price for this savings is ambiguity of how to interpret the semantics
of the annotation. This may not be a good thing as it will lead to
interoperability issues when developers invariably decide to interpret the
semantics differently.

To some extent I think this may have been Kevin's point back in July when
we were discussing multiple targets.

Something to consider is whether or not there are any actual use cases for
multiple individuals (it is clear that there are cases for both choice and
set/composite) beyond cheating the system and reusing triples.

Regards,

Jacob