Re: RDFS schema files

I'm fond of minimalist ontologies that keep an open mind about the
open world, so I like this at a glance. But I haven't looked yet to
see if I think it lines up well with the Data Model).

One syntactic issue about which I hope someone can point me to an
authority proving me wrong:  It's common practice in RDF/XML to have a
DTD with XML entity declarations and use corresponding entity
references in xml attributes, assuming that they will be expanded.
Example: <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&rdfs;Resource"/>

But to the best of my understanding, nothing in the RDF/XML
specification requires that the RDF/XML serialization be valid for a
DTD or XML-Schema. In particular, I believe nothing guarantees that
the value of this the example is anything other than the exact
contents of the quoted string, and I think that an RDF/XML parser that
behaves that way is nevertheless, and horrifyingly, compliant with the
RDF/XML spec.  I hope I am wrong, because that use of entity reference
makes a less annoying RDF file.  I even like to use them in the value
of namespace declarations, because then the only thing you really have
to edit is the DTD....

So please, please, would someone point me at something in an RDF/XML
spec that I can understand implies that entity references must be
expanded; (ideally the something wouldn't make me bite the bullet and
understand something deep about infosets.  :-)  )

Bob

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

IT Staff
Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

email: morris.bob@gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
===
The content of this communication is made entirely on my
own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
Harvard University.