Re: OA Open Issues and Focus Groups

I (at the moment think) I don't have a problem with deprecated
structured bodies, because although structured bodies are critical to
us, the structure is essentially all in the domain vocabulary and
consumers have to be able to make sense of that in the case of
actionable Annotations, i.e. those where the producer is annotating a
mutable resource that is under the control of a consumer, and the
producer is expressing a desire (and justification) for some change to
be made on the resource.  For, say, googledocs, this would be as
though the document supported arbitrary marginal annotations by
anyone, but doc change only by the originator.  Even if you could do
that, the annotation model of gdocs maybe isn't adequate to annotation
"conversations", about which more anon.

In fact, the way we generate annotations right now, each gets its own
UUID-based guid.  The "external" stuff lives in a graph in the same
namespace and if the annotation moves around in a serialization that
includes the structure of the objects in the domain vocabulary, then
the consumer and producer can extract the domain content by mutually
agreed upon IETF resolutions.  There will be issues for those who
believe that http URI's must have an IETF resolution that is
character-wise the same as the URI   :-)
That is in practice never the case for us, and of course it leads to
complexities for any consumer that needs to extract all the body
structure down to a fixed level.  But sometimes the extraction is
potentially simple if it is based on the (very naughty) resolution
based on matching leading strings in the URIs, e.g.

CONSTRUCT {?s ?p ?o}
WHERE {
      ?s ?p ?o .
      FILTER (regex(str(?s),
"http://etaxonomy.org/ontologies/ao/ad2db960-c91c-4fd7-bac1-c1ae0ce4bba4"))
}

Of course, in our environment we have to provide that the consumer can
have assurance that the annotation is exactly as produced or at least
that the consumer is in a position to further filter out other matches
to the regex. We do this with digital signatures included with a
wrapper around the serialized Annotation.

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

IT Staff
Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

email: morris.bob@gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
===
The content of this communication is made entirely on my
own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
Harvard University.