W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-openannotation@w3.org > August 2012

Re: Textual Note example

From: Leyla Jael García Castro <leylajael@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:38:11 +0100
Message-ID: <CACLxDV5VtRQWDAR6RxKjab3c5EKieLuJEC5PeGJ3Eevf-6Oa4w@mail.gmail.com>
To: Paolo Ciccarese <paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com>
Cc: Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com>, public-openannotation <public-openannotation@w3.org>
Hi Paolo, Bob, all,


We thought about the CompositeAnnotation for aggregating annotations that
> has been produced together - in the same context and about same time. For
> aggregating annotation produced at different times I would simply suggest
> the creation of an annotation set by ore:Aggregation
>

Understood, but still I can achieve that also with a structured body using
an rdf:Bag as Body, am I right? So, what would be the
advantage/disadvantage of Composite Annotations? I like more the rdf:Bag as
body as it implies less triplets, and... it is maybe closer to multiple
bodies?

Leyla

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Paolo Ciccarese
<paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com>wrote:

> I just realized that my previous message did not go through probably for
> the attachments.
> These are the links to the two figures
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/wiki/images/1/10/Possible_representation_of_Comment_in_Multiple_languages_opt1_by_Paolo_Ciccarese.png
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/wiki/images/0/01/Possible_representation_of_Comment_in_Multiple_languages_opt2_by_Paolo_Ciccarese.png
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Leyla Jael García Castro <
> leylajael@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Paolo,
>>
>> What about a third possibility having the only one body modelled as
>> rdf:Bag? That one would work fine with the current cardinality restriction
>> on Body and it would also tied the bodies together.
>>
>
> I think you are talking about what we call 'structured body' or
> 'structured resource'
> http://www.openannotation.org/spec/extension/#StructuredBody
>
>
>>
>> I like the Composite approach for annotations meant to be together by
>> maybe done by different users at different times. For multiple related
>> annotations, translations for instance, done by the same user at the same
>> time, I prefer to use rdf:Bag in the Body. The tricky thing is that we
>> could end up having a Composite for translations done by different users
>> and rdf:Bag in the Body for translations done by the same user as a single
>> annotation... would that make sense?
>>
>
> We thought about the CompositeAnnotation for aggregating annotations that
> has been produced together - in the same context and about same time. For
> aggregating annotation produced at different times I would simply suggest
> the creation of an annotation set by ore:Aggregation
>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Paolo Ciccarese <
>> paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bob and Layla,
>>> here are two examples one using CompositeAnnotation - *brainstorming* -
>>> and the other multiple bodies * currently not allowed *.
>>>
>>> The first is more inline with what we have now in the draft but it
>>> requires more triples. The second is more compact but is making use of
>>> multiple bodies which are not currently permitted.
>>>
>>> I haven't picked a mechanism for specifying the language yet. I am open
>>> to any of the  solutions listed by Layla.
>>>
>>> Anybody else in the group has some thoughts on this topic or  needs to
>>> deal with translations?
>>>
>>> Paolo
>>>
>>> ps: I apologize for the big warnings on the figures.
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Paolo Ciccarese <
>>> paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> The CompositeAnnotation is basically supposed to be a
>>>> subClass of rdf:Bag or ore:Aggregation
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Leyla Jael García Castro
>>>>> <leylajael@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> > Hi Bob,
>>>>> >
>>>>> > The range for cnt:chars is a Literal so you can use a language tag to
>>>>> > specify the language used in that particular text. Another
>>>>> possibility would
>>>>> > be dct:language property.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > As for expressing in different languages the same annotation, I
>>>>> guess there
>>>>> > are different approaches. The same body, for instance, could be
>>>>> applied to
>>>>> > multiple targets representing the same content in different
>>>>> languages;
>>>>> > another scenario as you mentioned is having the same textual body in
>>>>> > different languages, all of them applied to the same target.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > For the second scenario, having different bodies is not possible in
>>>>> OA, but
>>>>> > maybe having a List or Sequence as body would work? Each member of
>>>>> the list
>>>>> > would be then a cnt:ContextAsText with its own language and
>>>>> corresponding
>>>>> > text.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > any thoughts?
>>>>> In our pending manuscript, we sort of favor the container solution  as
>>>>> the simplest multiplicity disambiguation.  Maybe for this rdf:Bag
>>>>> would be more appropriate even though, I believe, there is no formal
>>>>> difference from the ordered containers.   This might be more
>>>>> lightweight than the CompositeAnnotation Paolo suggests in parallel
>>>>> email. I don't know if that is good or bad.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Leyla
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Paolo-
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >>
>>>>> http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/wiki/Annotating_a_Webpage_with_a_Textual_Note
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> With the oa:Body typed as cnt:ContentAsText, is there a way to
>>>>> specify
>>>>> >> the language of the cnt:chars?  It doesn't seem that there is a way
>>>>> in
>>>>> >> cnt.  I wonder why? One might have to annotate with ContentAsXML to
>>>>> >> express the language, which is overkill.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> A related use case is the expression of an Annotation in several
>>>>> >> different languages. If forced to make them as separate Annotations,
>>>>> >> it would be tricky to express that they are meant all to express the
>>>>> >> same Textual Note.  Maybe this means that the cnt:ContentAsText
>>>>> should
>>>>> >> not be the type of the oa:Body, but rather of something that can
>>>>> hang
>>>>> >> on the Body without any cardinality restrictions.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Bob
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> --
>>>>> >> Robert A. Morris
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
>>>>> >> UMASS-Boston
>>>>> >> 100 Morrissey Blvd
>>>>> >> Boston, MA 02125-3390
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> IT Staff
>>>>> >> Filtered Push Project
>>>>> >> Harvard University Herbaria
>>>>> >> Harvard University
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> email: morris.bob@gmail.com
>>>>> >> web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
>>>>> >> web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush
>>>>> >> http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
>>>>> >> ===
>>>>> >> The content of this communication is made entirely on my
>>>>> >> own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
>>>>> >> official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
>>>>> >> Harvard University.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Robert A. Morris
>>>>>
>>>>> Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
>>>>> UMASS-Boston
>>>>> 100 Morrissey Blvd
>>>>> Boston, MA 02125-3390
>>>>>
>>>>> IT Staff
>>>>> Filtered Push Project
>>>>> Harvard University Herbaria
>>>>> Harvard University
>>>>>
>>>>> email: morris.bob@gmail.com
>>>>> web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
>>>>> web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush
>>>>> http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
>>>>> ===
>>>>> The content of this communication is made entirely on my
>>>>> own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
>>>>> official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
>>>>> Harvard University.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Dr. Paolo Ciccarese
>>>> http://www.paolociccarese.info/
>>>> Biomedical Informatics Research & Development
>>>> Instructor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
>>>> Assistant in Neuroscience at Mass General Hospital
>>>> +1-857-366-1524 (mobile)   +1-617-768-8744 (office)
>>>>
>>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the
>>>> addressee(s), may contain information that is considered
>>>> to be sensitive or confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed
>>>> to any other party without the permission of the sender.
>>>> If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
>>>> immediately.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr. Paolo Ciccarese
>>> http://www.paolociccarese.info/
>>> Biomedical Informatics Research & Development
>>> Instructor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
>>> Assistant in Neuroscience at Mass General Hospital
>>> +1-857-366-1524 (mobile)   +1-617-768-8744 (office)
>>>
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the
>>> addressee(s), may contain information that is considered
>>> to be sensitive or confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to
>>> any other party without the permission of the sender.
>>> If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
>>> immediately.
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Dr. Paolo Ciccarese
> http://www.paolociccarese.info/
> Biomedical Informatics Research & Development
> Instructor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
> Assistant in Neuroscience at Mass General Hospital
> +1-857-366-1524 (mobile)   +1-617-768-8744 (office)
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the
> addressee(s), may contain information that is considered
> to be sensitive or confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to
> any other party without the permission of the sender.
> If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately.
>
>
Received on Friday, 17 August 2012 14:38:59 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 17 August 2012 14:39:00 GMT