Re: ANN: Draft text fragment ontology for NIF 2.0

Dear Robert,
I am really surprised of your reaction. I think you are seeing this too
narrow-minded and you are focusing too much on the '#' syntax, not on
the semantics.
Maybe it helps to cite Paolo in his email from 18.07.2012 16:07
> I was looking at the section
> http://www.openannotation.org/spec/extension/#Selector  and we don't mention
> subclassing the FragmentSelector. I think it could make sense.
> The overall idea is to agree on common shared selectors so any proposal
> should be considered.
So I guess, you are considering building something in this direction and
NIF is also.

If you think about it for a second, there is a whole group of people who
have thought about selecting fragments of web resources for decades.
Eventually, they even came up with standards to encode what can be
selected (semantics) and how that is done (syntax). This is the reason,
why I included uri@w3.org,
Please don't get distracted, because they decided to use a compact
syntax behind a '#' , the underlying question is the same. The
difference between:
<_:Target1>
    oax:hasSource <http://example.com/example.txt>;
    oax:hasSelector <_:Selector1> .
<_:Selector1> a oax:TextOffsetSelector ;
    oax:offset 44 ;
    oax:range 15 .

and
<http://example.com/example.txt#char=44,15>  .
is a mere syntactic one and they select the same content.  The
transformation might not be lossless with OA being more expressive, of
course.

If my judgment isn't completely off,  the content selection topic also
makes up a respectable part off this list, for example:

XML/XPointer related:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-openannotation/2012Aug/0039.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-openannotation/2012Jul/0018.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-openannotation/2012Jul/0005.html

Mediatype text:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-openannotation/2012Jul/0024.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-openannotation/2012Aug/0017.html
The last link was your own mail:
> For example all occurrences of the word "annotate" in any textual
> resource,
I would answer this with
http://dret.net/netdret/docs/wilde-ht2005-textfrag.pdf

For the features wished for CSV:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-openannotation/2012Jun/0008.html
I would look at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hausenblas-csv-fragment-00

Before I have to hear from you again, that OA will *never* use
fragments, let me ascertain you, that I am looking for common semantics,
*not* syntax. This is also the reason, why it is separated in our wiki:
http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org/wiki/Issue:_Syntax_for_NIF_URIs
http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org/wiki/Issue:_Features_for_NIF_URIs

With your TextOffsetSelector you have gone into the direction of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5147, maybe you could include
oax:beginLine and oax:endLine next. We can collect all properties
together in the fragment.ttl and later you can just change the @prefix
and NIF and OA will have the same semantics, but different syntax. I
already renamed beginIndex and endIndex into offset/range. There are a
lot of caltrops ahead. E.g. the XPointer/Xointer scheme was never
registered.

So don't worry, there is enough work for all of us, even if we work
together on this and share it.

Kind regards,
Sebastian