Re: Issues concerning Morphology and Part of Speech Tags

Am .03.2019, 13:45 Uhr, schrieb Julia Bosque Gil <jbosque@fi.upm.es>:

> Dear Katrin,
> I will try to provide some possible solutions for your second issue,
> concerning the single part of speech -tag and the lexicog:Entry
> approach. My answer >in-lines ;)
>>
>> The second issue concerns senses and part of speech tags. In EPSD2 it
>> is possible for an entry to have a “general” part of speech tag, but
>> some >>senses of it have a different tag e.g. “gal”(big), which is
>> characterized as a “V\i” , but it can also mean “goblet”, which is
>> tagged as “N”. But since >>Ontolex does not allow an LexicalEntry to
>> have more than one part of speech tag, it is unclear to me how one
>> could model this phenomena. The >>lexicog solution would be to use a
>> lexicog:Entry for “gal” in general, and three LexicalEntry-s for the
>> three parts of speech.
>
> Exactly, you would have gal-v, with senses [1-5], gal-n with sense [6],
> and gal-adj with sense [8].
>>
>> The problem is that EPSD2 stores information about the forms and their
>> frequency for “gal”, but not for gal with senses [1-5], [6] or [7]
>> separately. It >>is unclear which form of a word is connected to which
>> sense and how often this specific sense with a specific form is used.
>
> From what I understood, since this information is not explicitly
> provided in the dictionary, there is no way of automatically
> distinguishing this case from >those in which all forms go with all
> senses unless you take into account the case difference in the strings.
> I see three possible ways of representing this, >one of them easier in
> terms of querying, but overkill and leading to a high number of triples.
> The other two are more concise but would create some lexical >entries
> without a form, and you would need to query the dictionary entry to get
> them.
> a) [lots of triples] Since these entries look in appearance like those
> in which all forms go with all senses, each created LexicalEntry
> receives all the forms, >which would need to be triplicated. The
> disambiguation step in the future would involve an update to remove
> those Forms that are not realisations of the >lexical entry at hand.
The first problem is that there is frequency information to be added about
the forms, and these frequencies refer to non-disambiguated forms. If we
represent the ambiguity by double linking, this is semantically less
incorrect. The second problem is that not all forms seem to go with all
senses, but we cannot tell them apart, so representing this without a hint
that it is ambiguous is just wrong.

a'): Can't we just point from several lexical entries to the same form?
The definition is " A form represents one grammatical realization of a
lexical entry." and this is ambiguous regarding the interpretation of "a"
as either "one" or an existential quantifier. The latter would permit
multiple lexical entries per form.
Note that the situation is *not* analogous with LexicalSense, where we
cannot interpret "a" as existential quantifier, because it is further
elaborated as "a pair of a *uniquely determined* lexical entry and a
uniquely determined ontology entity", but there doesn't seem to be a
comparable restriction to ontolex:Form.

> b) [more concise] Only one LexicalEntry receives all forms (e.g. let us
> say, randomly, the one with the first sense, so gal-v), which might be
> not correct, >but in this way there are no ontolex:Forms without a
> LexicalEntry. The other two LexicalEntries would not have a lexical
> form, but the lexicog:Entry would >consist of LexicographicComponents
> that point to them via describes. lexicog:LexicographicComponents can
> also describe ontolex:Forms, since the >range of the describes property
> is owl:Thing. If you state that the lexicog:Entry that includes
> components describing the three ontolex:LexicalEntries also >has more
> components, each describing a Form, you can later on get a list of all
> the forms described in that dictionary entry. In this way, if you want
> to >access the potential forms that would go with gal-adj or gal-n, you
> would need to perform a query in SPARQL “Given than gal-n is described
> by a >LexicographicComponent which is rdfs:member of a lexicog:Entry,
> give me all the ontolex:Forms that are described by
> LexicographicComponents which >are also rdfs:member of that same
> lexicog:Entry”. Alternatively, “Given than gal-n is described by a
> LexicographicComponent which is rdfs:member of a >lexicog:Entry, give me
> all the ontolex:Forms of other LexicalEntries that are described by
> LexicographicCompoents which are also rdfs:member of that >same
> lexicog:Entry”, and then you would get the forms linked to gal-v. For
> the last query you actually would not need to create
> >LexicographicComponents describing Forms, because you access them via
> gal-v (unless you consider that the EPSD has indeed a section in that
> entry >devoted to form description and you want to capture that).
Pretty complicated, and the scope of form attestations and their
frequencies would be equally incorrect as with duplicating all forms.

> c) Just like (b), but the LexicographicComponents of the lexicog:Entry
> would not describe ontolex:LexicalEntries, but ontolex:LexicalSenses.
> This depends >on how exactly you want to recreate the original structure
> that you have in the EPSD2.
d): using a  yet-to-be-determined property from the morphology module that
associates a LexicalEntry with another, and unless explicit forms are
specified, inherits all its lexicalForm properties. From the current
discussion, that could be a subproperty of the non-reified version of
morph:DerivationalRelation (cf.
https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Morphology, working examples) as
suggested (by me ;) for "zero derivation" (morphology wiki, discussion
under N11).

In Sumerian, this is probably not a derivation proper, but a
grammaticalization or lexicalization, so morph:zeroDerivation or the like
would be slightly misplaced, but a possible alternative name could be
morph:reanalyzedAs (referring to the grammaticalization process),
morph:grammaticalizedAs, or morph:cast (by analogy with type casting in
programming languages), and the definition of this property could be "a
derviational relation between a lexical entry and another lexical entry
with the same canonical form, but different part of speech. For a
reanalyzed (grammaticalized, zero-derived) lexical entry, sense and form
information is optional, if not provided, sense and/or form information is
extended from (or identical with that of) the original lexical entry.
(Note that this constrain only holds under the closed world assumption).
The canonical form of the target, if provided, *must* be string identical
(modulo capitalization) to the canonical form of the source."

Another application of this property would the preposition-complementizer
ambiguity in English, the adjective-adverb "derivation" in German or the
preposition-adverb-particle ambiguity in most older West Germanic
languages, so I think, there's enough lexicographic motivation.

Best,
Christian

--
Prof. Dr. Christian Chiarcos