Re: about the definition of LexicalConcept in the specs

Hi Armando,

An interesting point. Yes, the definition is quite inexact and the
intention of "can be lexicalized" here was simply to state that such words
can be used to express the word in natural language and vica versa. I don't
think we intended to consider the process by which the concept is created.

Moreover, we should keep the definition quite loose, as we wish lexical
concept to fit the idea of synset, as you said. As such, it should be noted
that for many wordnets created for languages other than English, there are
gaps where the English synset is not lexicalized in the target language but
they still exist in the hierarchy, hence they are unlexicalized lexical
concepts, so the semasialogical/onomasiological distinction does not quite
fit in all cases.

The distinction between concepts and references is really meant to be a
question of the purpose of the resource: concepts are created as part of
the lexicon, where as references are created to describe a domain. In fact,
in the case of onomasiological lexicons (where the concepts drive the
lexicography, an example is the SALDO lexicon), then the concepts are still
lexical concepts rather than references.

Regards,
John