Re: Open Issues in the Model

Dear all,

I tent to agree with Francesca in that I see antonymy as something
different from variation as originally conceived and understood in our
papers. I think our starting point was the comparison of variants at
three levels: form, sense, ontology concept; and the underlying idea was
that variants do not incur in a difference in meaning (same ontology
entity) or have very closely related meanings (if we consider translation).
As Francesca says, antonomy is a semantic relation, somewhere in between
the lexicon and the ontology.

However, in an attempt to accomodate John's example, since I understand
that someone may want to say that /do /and /undo /are related, I have
come up with a different classification.

In the attached document, I include two slides with two classification
trees. The 1st one represents the way in which we originally understood
variation.
The 2nd one proposes a new classification. Slides 3 and 4 cointain some
drawings that helped us here at UPM to understand variation in the
context of ontolex.

I do not know if you share my view. Maybe I am completely wrong or
missing some important points, or maybe our missunderstandigs are due to
our different backgrounds.
Hopefully we come to an agreement soon... :)

I hope to be able to attend the telco today, but I have a medical
appointment at 14... :(
Elena