Re: [public-ontolex] <none>

Dear all,

    please remember that we will have our regular telco this week on
Friday at 15:00 (CET). You will find access details etc. here:

http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Teleconference,_2013.15.11,_15-16_pm_CET

The agenda is:

- Variation and Translation Module  (15 min)
- Syntax and Semantics Mapping Module (15 min)
- Linking to SKOS (15 min)
- Metadata Module (lime) (15 min)

Looking forward to talking to you all on Friday. If there are more
issues, please let me know.

Philipp.

Am 14.11.13 12:52, schrieb Armando Stellato:

> Dear all,
>
> one important question raised by John in the last meeting, about LIME
> (LInguistic MEtadata...or...the green brother of LEMON :-) ).
>
> "Ok, I understand the need for metadata about how an ontology is
> enriched/covered by lexical info, but is in the scope of Ontolex to
> provide metadata/categories about linguistic resources?" (John, I hope
> I synthetized your point appropriately)
>
> In:
> http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Metadata_Module
>
> I reported the first draft of LIME vocabulary.
>
> As you may see, there are properties/classes for synthetizing the
> "linguistic asset" of an ontology.
>
> Then, there are classes representing various kind of linguistic
> resources (Dictionary, BilingualDictionary) and their
> switchable characteristics (hasGlosses, hasTaxonomy etc..). And these
> were the focus of John's question.
>
> I give here a few reasons for which these should be part of Ontolex:
>
> 1) if we want to describe how ontologies can be interface with
> lexicons, we should be able to provide enough details about the
> lexicon (though this has not to include the description of a
> Linguistic Resource)
>
> 2) we already mapped WordNet, and I thought we were addressing how to
> map various LRs
>
> 3) we have a module about lexical linked data, isn't the above
> metadata about that lexical linked data which we already included in
> the scope?
>
> I then could provide other motivations for interesting scenarios: for
> instance, ten years ago, I wrote a (initially) simple plugin for
> Protege, called OntoLing, usable for enriching ontologies with content
> coming from linguistic resources. The plugin attracted the attention
> of many people who found finally a tool for performing this task, and
> the good thing is that the tool could be easily  customizable throug
> plugins. The theory behind that is: "tell me what a resource is, and I
> tell how to use it at its best". We thus could easily plug WordNet,
> EuroWordnet, FreeDict, Freelang dictionaries etc.. and we could add
> easily as well add other resources provided by partners in specific
> projects. This description later took a life on its own, being called
> Linguistic Watermark.
>
> Other important scenarios are ontology mapping ones: today after years
> of OAEI contests, still access to lexical resource for supporting
> matchhing, is considered foundamental, though it is still not:
> 1) clear
> 2) systematic
> and including the support from ling resources is more a craftwork than
> a clear asset in any alignment workflow/architecture
>
> The Linguistic Watermark was initially only a software engineering
> solution for modeling heterogeneous resources (not available as RDF)
> to be dynamically loaded into a consistent framework for enriching
> ontologies. Years later, with RDF technologies getting more ground,
> [...]

Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano

Phone: +49 521 106 12249
Fax: +49 521 106 12412
Mail: cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de

Forschungsbau Intelligente Systeme (FBIIS)
Raum 2.307
Universität Bielefeld
Inspiration 1
33619 Bielefeld