Re: semiotics.owl

Hi, John has made a nice summary of semiotics.owl, and some useful questions. John, thanks for the analysis :)
Answers below.

On Apr 16, 2013, at 6:45:53 PM , John McCrae <jmccrae@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> Hi Aldo,
>
> I was trying to synthesize the semiotics.owl ontology you sent around. I made some notes here
>
> http://greententacle.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/~jmccrae/semiotics.owl.html
>
> I had some things I didn't fully understand
>
> Naming of 'reference', looking at the comments it seems to be what is (from my experience) called a 'referent' in the semiotics literature. In fact, more confusingly some authors seem to use reference for meaning. I think this has confused a lot of the OntoLex discussion as in lemon we use reference as the term for the meaning in the ontology. (Honestly this is a total accident, it was originally chosen to harmonize with LMF's 'monolingual external reference', used to cite external resources for senses).

I opted for "reference" because "referent" typically bears a realistic flavor in philosphical debates. Besides that, no problem in using "referent", as in the Ogden-Richards version of the triangle.

> What is a manifestation, it has no annotations?

Right, I should add it. A Manifestation is the material occurrence of an Expression, e.g. Dante's Comedy (Expression) can be manifested in an eBook or a paper book. The same term with similar meaning is used in FRBR vocabulary.

> The model has linguistic (speech?) acts, I was wondering if there were any practical examples of how to model a speech act

I'll add it, and yes, it's an event (type). Example: "Talleyrand said "Si cela va sans dire, cela ira encore mieux en le disant" during the Vienna Congress in 1814."
That is the report of a linguistic act (a declarative speech act that reports another, subtler speech act), which can be modeled as follows (in Turtle, and using a default namespace ":" for a domain ontology, full example at http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/ont/example/talleyrandquotation.ttl):

:lingAct_1 a :Quote .
:Quote rdfs:subClassOf semiotics:LinguisticAct .
:lingAct_1 situation:isSettingFor _:agent .
_:agent a agentrole:Agent .
_:agent :authorOf "http://dinoutoo.pagesperso-orange.fr/histo/tal1.htm"^^xsd:anyURI .
:lingAct_1 situation:isSettingFor :lingAct_2 .
:lingAct_2 a :Say .
:Say rdfs:subClassOf semiotics:LinguisticAct .
:lingAct_2 situation:isSettingFor :Talleyrand .
:Talleyrand a agentrole:Agent .
:lingAct_2 situation:isSettingFor _:time .
_:time :inDate "06-10-1814"^^xsd:date .
:lingAct_2 situation:isSettingFor _:sentence .
_:sentence a semiotics:Expression .
_:sentence ontolex:lexicalForm "Si cela va sans dire, cela ira encore mieux en le disant"^^xsd:string .
:lingAct_2 situation:isSettingFor _:meaning .
_:meaning a semiotics:Meaning .
:lingAct_2 situation:isSettingFor _:reference .
_:reference a semiotics:Reference .
_:reference :partOf :CongressOfVienna .

if we know more about that quotation, we might add something more about _:meaning:

_:meaning semiotics:relatedMeaning :Clarity .
:Clarity a semiotics:Meaning .
_:meaning :modality :needed .
:needed a :Modality .
_:meaning :inContext :InternationalTreaty .
:InternationalTreaty a dbpedia:Event .

> Some unreferenced elements: agent, hasComponent... what is their purpose exactly?

Those are actually references, but in other - imported - patterns (agent role, situation, cpannotationschema)

> Regards,
> John

Aldo