Re: semiotics.owl

Hi Aldo, John, all,

After reading Aldo's previous e-mail on "Re: Senses, synsets and
ontology mapping in WordNet", I am not so sure I agree with the example
provided by John in the wiki page, that is why I would like to ask you
for clarification.

Example: The term 'G8' expresses the OWL Class G8Countries and denotes
the set {Canada,France,Germany,Italy,Japan,Russia,US,UK}, which is
conceptualized by G8Countries

I quote from Aldo's previous e-mail:
  Re (3):
"

This is not the case when we want to link lexical or KOS meanings to typical ontologies, e.g. to myont:Vomit class. If Vomit is an OWL (or RDFS) class, its interpretation is*extensional*  (a collection of things, vomiting events in the common interpretation), therefore it's fully justified to use ontolex:reference for representing this linking.
Therefore:
	wordnet:wordsense-vomit-verb-1 wordnet:inSynset wordnet:synset-vomit-verb-1
	wordnet:wordsense-vomit-verb-1 ontolex:reference myont:Vomit
	wordnet:synset-vomit-verb-1 ontolex:reference myont:Vomit

"
Aldo, if I understood this correctly, the *reference *relation would be
established between the WordNet synset or *meaning *and an OWL class
"myont:Vomit" in an ontology.
Therefore,  the expression to vomit expresses the meaning (sense or
synset) corresponding to that verb
                     the meaning (sense or synset) conceptualizes an OWL
(or RDFS) class

If we extrapolate this to the G8 example, we would say that the
expression G8 expresses the meaning of "a group of eight of the richest
industrial countries in the world...", which, in its turn,
conceptualizes the OWL Class G8Countries, that contains and denotes the
set of countries {Canada,France,Germany,Italy,Japan,Russia,US,UK}, as
instances.

I would rather agree with this view, since I my interpretation of the
semiotic triangle, the "Referent" corresponds to a conceptualization or
ontology of a certain world.
In fact, I think that if we assume this view, the
LexicalEntry-Sense-OntologyClass path has more sense. Could you agree
with this view?

Best,
Elena.

--