Re: Open Call for Use Cases

Thx for the reminder.
I'd also include the following companies as recipients:

- Zemanta
- OpenAmplify
- Alchemy
- Expert System (Italy)
- SAS

and projects:

- DARPA's Machine Reading
- Open Information Extraction

Regarding the text of the call, it is ok with me. Only possible improvement is mentioning that the ontology-lexicon model can be used besides the case of integrating RDF-OWL and lexical knowledge. At least I'd mention its usage for interoperability across existing models and across existing encodings of lexical information (embedded or not),

Cheers
Aldo

On 21 Mar 2012, at 11:55, Philipp Cimiano wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>  this is a friendly reminder that your comments on the text for the open call for use cases are due today. Further suggestions for projects / mailinglists etc. to send this call to are also welcome.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Philipp.

> Projects:
>
> - Metanet
> - Flarenet
> - Molto Project
> - Multilingual Web
> - IKS
>
> Companies
>
> - SAP
> - IBM
> - Elsevier
> - Mondeca
>
> Mailinglists:
>
> - DBWorld
> - Semweb@w3c
> - Corpora list
> - Linguist list
> - ELRA
> - Open Linguistics
>
> =====================================
>
> Call for use cases for the ontology-lexicon model
>
> Since December 2011, the W3C Community Group on Ontology Lexica [1] has started its work.
>
> *** Motivation ***
>
> Ontologies have numerous applications and they represent the conceptual backbone of the Semantic Web. In fact, significant efforts have gone into standardization efforts under the auspices of the W3C to produce „recommendations“ for data and knowledge representation languages, i.e. the Resource Description Framework (RDF) and the Web Ontology Language (OWL). However, current web-based knowledge representations languages such as OWL and RDF(S) lack the rich linguistic grounding that is required for language-mediated access to ontologies. OWL and RDF(S) rely on a property rdfs:label to capture the relation between a vocabulary element and its (preferred) lexicalization in a given language. This lexicalization in some sense provides a lexical anchor that makes the concept, property, individual etc. understandable to a user. The mechanisms for linguistic grounding available in OWL and RDF(S) are thus far from being able to capture the necessary linguistic and lexical information that NLP applications working with a particular ontology need.
>
> The mission of the Ontology-Lexicon community group is to develop a model for the linguistic grounding of ontologies which allows to represent to lexical entries containing information about how ontology elements (classes, properties, individuals etc.) are realized in multiple languages. A more detailed overview of the scope and goal of the working group can be found at [3].
>
> *** Open Call for Use Cases ***
>
> With this call for use cases, we intend to expand the scope of our current use cases (see [2]) by including use cases that are inspired in more concrete and real applications.

> [...]

_____________________________________

Aldo Gangemi
Senior Researcher
Semantic Technology Lab (STLab)
Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology,
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +390644161513