odrl-ISSUE-15 (Profile Identifyer): How to identify that a specific ODRL profile applies to a policy [ODRL Version 2.0 Core Model (Public)]

From: ODRL Community Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 07:18:52 +0000
To: public-odrl@w3.org
odrl-ISSUE-15 (Profile Identifyer): How to identify that a specific ODRL profile applies to a policy [ODRL Version 2.0 Core Model (Public)]

http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/track/issues/15

Raised by: Michael Steidl
On product: ODRL Version 2.0 Core Model (Public)

In the context of IPTC's RightsML specification work and creating examples we've encountered this issue:
- the ODRL Core model declares that an ODRL Profile may be defined (http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/two/model/#section-4)
- but it is not defined how to communicate that a policy follows a specific profile.

Reasoning: a Profile may include limitations in ODRL variants which can only be taken into account if the application of a Profile is known. (Using extensions is usually indicated by terms from a non-ODRL namespace and causes less problems.)

Issues for discussion:
- should it be allowed to apply more than one Profile? (May be a flexible approach but may also raise issues with ambiguity.)
- how to identify: we propose to add a property named "profile", data type URI/QName/QCode

Michael
(Michael Steidl, IPTC)