Re: odrl-ISSUE-15 (Profile Identifier): How to identify that a specific ODRL profile applies to a policy

On 25 Sep 2013, at 17:18, ODRL Community Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> In the context of IPTC's RightsML specification work and creating examples we've encountered this issue:
> - the ODRL Core model declares that an ODRL Profile may be defined (http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/two/model/#section-4)
> - but it is not defined how to communicate that a policy follows a specific profile.

Yes, we have only discussed Profiles at the conceptual/logical layers so far - but not at any implementable layer.

> Issues for discussion:
> - should it be allowed to apply more than one Profile? (May be a flexible approach but may also raise issues with ambiguity.)

I guess if a community can combine two or more Profiles that makes sense to their needs, then we should support that?

> - how to identify: we propose to add a property named "profile", data type URI/QName/QCode

What would be the negative aspects if we said that the asserted XML Namespaces are the Profile(s) ?

So, for RightsML, if we include "xmlns:rml="http://iptc.org/std/RightsML/2011-10-07/" in a Policy, then we are asserting that the Policy follows RightsML rules?

So even if you don't use any rml elements (like this example [1]) - you are still asserting that policy follows RightsML...which may say (like it does [2]) that you must not use the odrl "acceptTracking" action - which would (in other cases) be an acceptable odrl policy.

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity
http://semanticidentity.com