From: Francis Cave [mailto:francis@franciscave.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:57 PM
To: 'Renato Iannella'; 'Michael Steidl'
Cc: 'ODRL Community Group'
Subject: RE: News industry requirement: action "license"

I'm uncertain as to the wisdom of changing the ODRL definition of "sell". I
think we have to face the fact that "sell" means different things in
different markets, and the only way you can be certain that the correct
meaning is conveyed is to have a unique identifier for the particular
version of the term "sell" that applies. As has already been suggested, an
obvious way of doing this is to specify the namespace, so that "odrl:sell"
and "rightsML:sell" can then mean different things.

If you change the ODRL meaning of "sell" to satisfy to Michael's Central
European case, the term is no longer applicable to e-books, for example,
where the term "sell" would be used in much the same way as it is for
printed books, i.e. there is actually only a limited granting of rights to
the buyer.

Francis Cave