Re: Basic processes

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Brian Kardell :: @bkardell :: hitchjs.com
>
> On Nov 18, 2012 4:45 PM, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sunday, 18 November 2012 at 20:44, Brian Kardell wrote:
> >

> > > Ok, Mozilla's Daniel Buchner suggested that we consider this one,
> maybe the right thing to do is struggle thought how to get started on one,
> I am hoping he joins the list as well, he expressed some interest:
> > >

> > > http://www.backalleycoder.com/2012/08/06/css-selector-listeners/
> > >

> > > maybe the best thing to do is to just dig into discussions as I know
> that similar ideas are important in my/Clint's Hitchjs and have been
> illustrated by (I think) Raphael in
> http://code.google.com/p/mutation-summary/ and further discussions have
> been had by myself and Francois (and a few other W3C folks offlist) with
> regard to how this might be related to our own CSS Custom Properties
> proposal/fork of variableshttp://fremycompany.com/TR/2012/ED-css-custom/
> > >

> > > I don't suggest that our group's goal is to conclude there is one true
> way, rather to share and discuss and promote both competition and
> cooperation/bettering of ideas through cross-pollenation.
> > >

> > > So - given this, how would we start?
> > First, lets list what you think the goals of the group are. Then we can
> talk about deliverables that meet those goals.
> >

> Ok, I think these are mostly very high level goals that we already agree
> on, but ok let's go through this excersize first for clarity.
>
> > Here is my list:
> >
> > 1. investigate/research current poly/prollyfill strategies to help
> educate dev community.
> >
> > User scenario: Adam wants to use feature X of spec Y, but it's not
> supported or is buggy. Adam wants to know what is a good way to write code
> to fill/fix that gap, but in a way that best serves users of today and
> tomorrow.
> >
> > Deliverables: findings document of what works/what doesn't in both cases.
> >

> I would seperate this distinctly as "polyfill" and mention that there are
> degrees of compatibility with these as well - the further back you try to
> fill compatibility the harder/less efficient it is.  I think part of the
> goals for polyfills specifically should be:
>
> *  a sort of caniuse for polyfills which has a way to reference/measure
> fidelity and version compatibility.
>
> * a place to take a fuzzy idea (or even an implementation) to something
> more formal (i.e. its not really a prollyfill until you have a draft
> proposal) and through several pairs of eyes of people who are likely
> looking at similar thing to see how it competes with/helps/might otherwise
> relate to other works - basically, this is like the genetic mixing pool for
> idea as they create variance and the more well adapted become mature.
>
> > 2. Come up with a (potentially) new way to do poly/prollyfills based on
> 1 (and perhaps enable 4, below).
> >
> > User scenario: Mary wants to fix or fill a feature in a browser but
> wants to make sure that what she codes will be as close as possible to the
> [...]

I'd like to make a suggestion to the group... I agree with the points above
as all being fine goals - but the scope is really huge and I think that the
prollyfill space is big enough from a work standpoint all on its own for
now without even wading into polyfills or shims - I also think (personally)
that it is the most important aspect and currently totally unfilled....

How do you all feel about focusing there - at least for starters?