Re: Sysapps WG

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 16:03:37 +0100
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Cc: "public-native-web-apps@w3.org" <public-native-web-apps@w3.org>

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:

> On 10/2/12 7:30 AM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:
> > With the launch of the SysApps WG [1], what do we foresee as the function of this CG?
> >
> > We haven't really done much since we launched so we should probably consider winding this group down.
>
> I'm indifferent but do want to mention one advantage of this CG ...
>
> Given the broad scope of SysApps, I can imagine some W3C Members not
> being able to formally join the WG because of the broad upfront IP
> commitment that is required. As such, this CG could be used to engage
> such Members but with a much more limited IP commitment (f.ex. a Member
> could only contribute to one of the WG's specs). (At least I believe
> things could work this way ...)
>
> But as I said, I don't really care either way ...
The problem, IMHO, is that the scope of this CG is also too broad - and I think that meant that despite all good intentions, almost no work items were produced here.

To address your concern, there is almost no overhead to starting a new CG for a particular item that may spin off the WG. A smaller, more focused CG may work more effectively than this one.

--
Marcos Caceres