Re: Comparison between Mozilla & Chrome App Manifests

Hi Ben,

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Ben Francis <ben@tola.me.uk> wrote:

> In comparing the manifest formats for Mozilla Open Web Apps and Chrome
> hosted apps I hope to converge on a common standard for *hosted* web apps,
> I have less interest in packaged apps.

That's fair enough, and it's very admirable what you're doing. I myself am
interested in both hosted and unhosted (as i call them) apps, and after
reading
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2011/installable-web-apps-and-interoperability/(including
the comments) i think we need converters like
https://github.com/scottbw/crx2widget for going back and forth between all
three spec branches (mozilla, google, w3c). Such a set of converters, as
open source reusable tools, would have a lot of the benefits that real
convergence would have, and might be a good start towards achieving actual
convergence. Just like jQuery is a good way to hide differences in DOM
implementations, and allows us in practice to "pretend" that these
differences don't exist.

To start with, is there a converter to go from mozilla format to google
format and back? Should we make one?