Re: Comparison between Mozilla & Chrome App Manifests

Hi Scott (cc'd both lists because I'm not sure where this discussion should
take place),

You said:
"I think Mozilla had in mind self-hosted-apps (similar to Facebook
apps) rather than a portable/mobile/desktop type of model, which is perhaps
why they went off in a different direction - although they ended up with
very similar manifest content to W3C."

The important differentiation in my mind is "hosted" vs. "packaged" apps.
W3C Widgets are for "packaged" apps where the resources are packaged in a
zip file and downloaded, Mozilla's Open Web Apps and Chrome's hosted apps
are "hosted" web apps where each of the resources are hosted on a web
server (though can be cached locally using HTML5 APIs) and can be updated
without downloading a whole new package.

Incidentally Open Web Apps are very different to Facebook apps, in fact
Facebook/Apple App Store/Android Marketplace style apps all seem part of
the "problem" they are trying to solve.

IMHO packaged apps are not "web" apps because for something to be part of
the web it must have a URL, and the resources inside a package exist
locally but don't correspond to a unique URL. I explain this in more detail
in a blog post entitled "Keeping Web Apps Open"
http://webian.org/blog/2011/10/10/keeping-web-apps-open/

In comparing the manifest formats for Mozilla Open Web Apps and Chrome
hosted apps I hope to converge on a common standard for *hosted* web apps,
I have less interest in packaged apps.

Ben

--
Ben Francis