comments on widget test suites contribution guide

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:19:52 +0200
To: Kai Hendry <hendry@aplix.co.jp>
Cc: public-mwts@w3.org, marcosc <marcosc@opera.com>
Hi Kai,

Here comes my comments on the widgets test suite contribution guide
(ACTION-62 and ACTION-63); I wish I had found the time to actual propose
concrete text, but since I haven't, I'm hoping these comments can still
be used to make the contribution guide more useful.

 * "find an assertion" should refer to the test plan rather than the
automatically extracted test assertions; that way, you can say that what
needs to be tested is highlighted with a red background in the 3rd
column and with details on how to test it

 * I would create a separate section on how to create a basic test (zip
file + config file + start file), and then go into the testing
strategies we alluded to a couple of weeks ago:

 - to test that a file is ignored, put a failure message (e.g. either a
text, or a red image) in that file, and add a reference to it in the
config file (with an example of an existing test); similarly for testing
overriding config directives

 - to test that an invalid widget is not loaded, create a full widget
(with whatever is needed to make it an invalid widget) and include in
the start file a "FAIL" message

[you would link to the relevant templates files in the guide]

(there are probably more of these strategies, but that's at least two
examples that came to mind)

Otherwise, looks good to me - thanks!